Homeless and Housing Coalition (MT Continuum of Care District 8)
General Meetings – All Are Welcome!
Anyone who provides social services or who is interested in learning about what’s going on in our tri-county area is welcome to attend! Meetings are held from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month (except July and August) at the Helena Indian Alliance Board Room (501 Euclid Ave.) unless otherwise announced. To join the Coalition’s mailing list, contact the United Way at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need a Resource?
Info on Housing and Homelessness, Food Secutity, Mental Health, Transit and More
Right now, the Homeless and Housing Coalition is working to address homelessness in our region and the lack of adequate affordable, safe, quality housing for both our dynamic workforce and our most vulnerable residents.
Here are some resources to help outline the current state of the gaps, needs, and potential of housing in Helena:
- 2010 Helena Housing Needs Assessment
- 2011 City of Helena Growth Policy: Housing
- 2016 L&C Co Sequential Intercept Mapping Report – Final
- State Coordinated Entry and Assessment Plan
Other papers, studies, and useful websites:
- 2016 – The Very Poor and the Affordability of Housing
- 2016 HUD Report on Community Re-entry and Public Housing Authorities
- The Homeless Hub – academic articles, white papers, policy suggestions, blogs, and great examples of how communities across North America are addressing homelessness
Homeless and Housing Resources
There are scores of great organizations making resources available to the community. Here are the details of some of those programs:
- Greater Helena Area Housing First (a welcoming Front Door for those experiencing literal homelessness)
- Good Samaritan Ministries Assistance Programs
- The Salvation Army Transitional Living Program
- Helena Housing Authority Info. You can submit an application online at HHAMT.org.
- St Peter’s Hospital Intensive Outpatient Program
Continuum of Care-specific Information
The Continuum of Care (CoC) is a specific program run by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The CoC’s purpose is to encourage local organizations to work effectively together to address housing and homelessness. You can learn more about the federal CoC program here.
Our local CoC is District 8, which includes Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, and Jefferson counties. The Homeless and Housing Coalition Leadership Team, made of a dozen different organizations, leads local efforts to address homelessness and housing needs. If you are interested in learning more, please call 406-442-4360.
Point-in-Time Homeless Survey
Each year the point in time homeless survey is conducted on one night in January. This counts the number of homeless within our community at that given time. This count is used to calculate funding to programs that assist in transitional living programs for that population.
In 2016 in the greater Helena area, approximately 435 individuals were counted as experiencing homelessness. This includes children, families, veterans, men and women young and old. view the results.
2016 Point-in-Time Survey
Helena Independent Record: Homeless without a Home
Helena Independent Record: Community Support Sought to Eliminate Homelessness in Helena
Helena Independent Record: The faces of homelessness: two god’s love residents share
Helena Independent Record: Volunteers Sought to help Count the Homeless
We administer and analyze data from the annual Point-in-Time Survey of Homelessness in Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, and Jefferson counties. In 2016, we administered and analyzed data from our first summer point-in-time survey, as well. Some of the data are included here.
- 2015 Point-in-Time Results
- 2016 Point-in-Time Results
- 2016 summer Point-in-Time Results forthcoming
- 2017 Point-in-Time survey: Thursday, January 26